Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Angels

I recently bought this little collection of bisque doll parts. They were dug-up out of the ground in Thuringia in Germany, near to the old doll factory. They date from around 1880 to 1930.

As they have been given a second chance, I wanted to make them beautiful again.

I took some antique lace and ran a running stitch along the top edge. I pulled up the stitches, gathering it around the neck of the doll to give a choir robe effect. Another narrow lace was given the same treatment to create the ruffle collar. The wings are made from an embroidered ribbon, stitched into a bow shape and glued on the back of the doll.

I also added a hanging loop and various button trims and a halo. The little angels hold a glass chandelier drop.
I think they would be pretty hanging on the Christmas tree, but also hung in a baby's room as a guardian angel.

17 comments:

  1. Oh Niki I adore these! I so love Angels, you are an amazing talent,

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasured find and so appropriately and beautifully restored. They took my breath away...Nel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niki, you did it again!!!!They're so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful angels! And I love your displays in the bedroom.

    tea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow they look fantastic Niki! What a fab idea again and what a great find! xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful...angelic in fact ((((giggle)))).
    I love them, clever you !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful and I love the idea of using them on a tree or as guardian angels--just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They will be perfect on a tree! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Niki, They're wonderful! You have an endless talent for making the most marvellous things! Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sweet! How clever of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful Angels. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dhey are delightful, and how nice for them to be found and put back to work after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. CAROL
    I love your site, I visit everyday. You give me great ideas, sometimes with so many things I want to do, there are not enough hours in the day.
    What a great find those little Angels are, and how cute you dressed them all. Keep doing what you do, I love to come and see.
    NANCY JO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well I thought I was just it when it comes to finding stuff and fixing it up. No, YOU ARE! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These angels were specifically sent down from heaven to you.They are beautiful.

    Annabelle ~^..^~ xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love visiting your site. You have such pretty things. Your sachet is wonderful eye candy, and your angel dolls are so clever. Girl, you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wat een mooie site heb jij , hier houd ik van !!!!
    What a Beautiful site do you have ,
    I love it !!!!
    Rini from the Netherlands .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx