Wednesday, October 07, 2009

In an English Country Garden


Whilst in the throws of doing my research for this, I took many photographs to inspire me and to get me thinking. Many of those photographs have since languished unseen in my archives, which I feel is a shame. One of the chapters that was a lot of fun to put together was Gardens & Outdoor Havens.

So this morning I thought I'd share with you some of the photographs that I took in my friend's English cottage garden. She is an enthusiastic collector of old gardenalia, which she crams into her tiny front garden plot. Old clay pots, tools and quirky items of salvage arranged in the borders create a nostalgic approach to this delightful way of gardening.
Most of the planting are traditional varieties, many self seeded, with pinks and pale purples being a favourite choice.
*
(Ooops sorry, that's me getting in the way there...reflected in the window...but isn't this potting shed just so cute?!)
So as the last traces of summer disappear from our own gardens, I'll leave you with some reminders of the summer splendour that we can look forward to again next year...enjoy the tour.

*

*

*

*

*
*

*

*

*

*
Niki x

11 comments:

  1. Your friends cottage garden is a real gem! I love it!!!!
    Thank you for sharing it with us Niki!
    xoxo Carola

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely garden - thanks Niki! We have had work done on our terrace, and once it's finished, I can wait to get some garden furniture and potted plants back under the roof. I shall be inspired by what you've shown us.+

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Niki

    Although I know your book must have taken a lot time and effort. I suspect there was plenty of fun too capturing pictures such as these. It is a lovely established garden with a lovely feel to it. I love your friend's choice of plants.
    Take care
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely quirky garden, your friend has real imagination and by the looks of it, really knows how to look after roses (unlike me!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the wonderful pics, Niki. That potting shed is beyond adorable!! : )

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue S4:47 pm

    I love this garden!..I have the book and love her cottage too!!! I saved my grandads' old garden roller some years ago and have enjoyed adding to the collection of old tools dotted here and there...lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful garden! You can feel the fairies in it! I love the potting shed and the horseshoe on the door. I might copy that for our shed xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    I saw the cottage garden set on Isabelle's blog 'Suzy's Vintage Attic', so beautiful with the lace and the vintage brooch.
    Your blog is wonderful and I love your book, gorgeous pictures !

    Best wishes,
    Sylvia (Cosiness)

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful, its getting me motivated for the summer that is coming our way here in Australia!
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Niki, this garden of your friend is so inspiring to me!!! thanks for your time and beautiful pictures.
    Oh it´s so good being here at your wonderful blog... thanks a lot for all your sharings, love them all!!!
    Maria Cecilia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx