Saturday, September 11, 2010

Victorian Psychedelia!

I meant to show you this the other day, but ran out of Blogging time...

You'd be forgiven for thinking this stunning waistcoat was made yesterday, given its vibrant clashing colours and striking design...
But it was actually made in 1873!

It is on display at the Dovery Manor Museum in Porlock, which hubby and I visited last week. I couldn't help but marvel at the fine workmanship...And I took a few quick close-ups to share with you whilst no one was looking! ;-))
Enjoy...

*

*

*

Have a lovely weekend,
Niki x
Developing a cheerful disposition can permit an atmosphere wherein one's spirit can be nurtured and encouraged to blossom and bear fruit. Being pessimistic and negative about our experiences will not enhance the quality of our lives. A determination to be of good cheer can help us and those around us to enjoy life more fully.~ Barbara W. Winder ~

8 comments:

  1. Hi Niki
    the workmanship is amazing, although to me it smacks of 60's/70's hippy/glam, those Victorians - way ahead of their time!
    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is gorgeous! I want me one of those....LOL Kit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely bunch of eye candy! Thanks for the inspiration - not exactly the right word since I'm not going to make one myself, but it is lovely and worth a look now and again to brighten our spirits.
    Thanks for sharing your pics.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing! My daughter is doing waistcoats as one of her textiles assignments and thought it was very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is beautiful.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous thing. Clever you to manage to photograph it!!!

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning! She must have put countless hours into that lovely piece of art!
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am definitely going to have to go and look at that waistcoat, no excuses as I live about fifteen mintues drive from Porlock!
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx