Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Turn Back Time...

Last Friday was hubby's Birthday, so to celebrate, we took ourselves off to Shrewsbury for a couple of days on Saturday evening, after work.
Sunday morning we woke to some heavy rain, but undeterred, and needing to walk off a rather large breakfast(!), we hit the town...

Shrewsbury is a beautiful medieval town, with fascinating historic buildings at every turn.
In fact, its where a TV adaptation of A Christmas Carol, with George C. Scott as Ebenezer Scrooge, was filmed.
We wandered along narrow streets and open squares, enjoying the fact that everything was within walking distance - We didn't have to drive anywhere all weekend.

The castle grounds were very pretty, even in the pouring rain. (The castle itself was closed on the Sunday, so we decided to return the next day.)

*

*

*
After our morning walk, we stopped at the Bear Steps cafe for a hot chocolate, where we sat under a veranda and watched the rain falling...
We sat there for quite some time until we realised that the rain had stopped...
We spent the afternoon exploring the rest of the town in dry weather!

By the evening we were quite tired and so decided to treat ourselves to a meal out at Chambers - a themed restaurant at The Prince Rupert Hotel.

Those with a guilty conscience may feel a little uneasy sitting amongst the courtroom paraphernalia! ;-))

*

*

Great fun!
**
The next day the sun was shining...it was gorgeous.

*
We returned to Bear Steps cafe for elevenses, this time sitting by the churchyard under a parasol.

A little shopping was on the agenda. Our favourite shop was Dickinson's Period House Shop.

It is done out inside like an old fashioned iron mongers...

And they sell traditional merchandise and reproduction house fittings such as hooks and brassware etc. as well as paint and oil lamp parts.

Their website can be found here.

**
We also visited the best Charity Shop that I have ever been into...lots of vintage goods (although quite expensive), all set out in a 'junk shop' style. (British Red Cross)

After the retail therapy, we returned to Shrewsbury castle and a visit to the armoury museum. (Photos weren't allowed inside)

All in all, a great weekend!

**
I returned home with this gorgeous c1950's evening gown - Its by a London maker and is a satin brocade fabric, woven with a rose design. Classic! - Love it!
**
I was back to work again yesterday, where the buzz in Shepton was for the latest news about the BBC series which should be shown next month. More details can be found on Belinda's blog here.
Enjoy the rest of your week,
Niki x

9 comments:

  1. I've never been to Shrewsbury so thank you for the photographic tour. Glad you had a nice time and found some decent weather.
    That charity shop looks fantastic, love the dress too.
    Can't wait for the BBC series after you whetted our appetite!
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been either and it looks beautiful. I'll have to put it on my list of places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great time in Shrewsbury, I hope Dad had a brilliant birthday!

    I love the Bear Steps cafe, great choice!!

    Love Kay xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Niki,
    It sounds like you had lots of fun and found all the best period / vintage venues - that charity shop is AMAZING !
    I'm very fond of Shropshire, having had walking holidays there back in the 1990's. We used to stay in Much Wenlock which is such a nice place. Shropshire is a beautiful county and Shrewsbury is a good place for browsing, isn't it?
    Good news about the bbc show !
    Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are going to have a day out tomorrow(a rare occasion C and i are both free).I think it might be Shrewsbury.We go past it on the A5 heading south but havn't been into the town for ages.Thanks for reminding us what a great place it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderuful day you had. Oh how I wish I shadowed the both of you. I adore days like this, they are heaven to me. Sea Witch

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tour! I love the UK! I love that you preserve your history. I especially love the picture of the twin gabled building that appears to be tilting. Is that a trick of the camera angle, or the darling's age showing? Love Love! Love!! your blog.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I've actually been to this town! Not for long, though. If I remember it correctly, we had to catch a train and had just enough time to run to the post office to mail something and run back to the station. Needless to say, I was only watching where my feet were going so I wouldn't trip and fall!!

    Your pictures make we want to pack and leave Colorado tomorrow for a long visit. Thanks for sharing. ♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deborah3:07 am

    How lovely.
    I'm a Girl Guide Leader so really enjoyed seeing the garden bed celebrating our Centenary!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx