Monday, October 11, 2010

Trash or Treasure?

Hope you had a lovely weekend...Mine was spent vintage treasure hunting...Would you like to see some of the things that I found?...

I had set my mind on looking out for buttons and brooches, as these are items that I use a huge amount of in my handmade creations...
Thankfully I wasn't disappointed. I found a large collection of unused linen buttons still on their cards. A bit of an outlay, cash-wise, but sure to be useful...

And don't they look pretty too?! I also bought the box full of sewing threads...I think their previous owner had a passion for greens and blues!

This delightful little framed print came from Tracey.

So pleased to have found this gorgeous framed wedding photograph of a very handsome couple outside a rather grand house. And the faux pearls? Does there need to be a reason for buying these lovelies? Or it it just me and an 'age thing'?!

The choice of brooches on offer was vast, but I have to be cautious when buying them - They are an 'add-on' to my hand made goods, so need to be of a reasonable price, so as not to add to my expenses/costings too heavily. These were the ones that came home with me this time...
They are sitting on a fabulous piece of c1930's velvet, which will be used in a project very soon.
Below, other fabrics and trims for recycling, and two tiny hand painted boxes, just because...

Just because they are so wonderful!

Poppies as a reminder of summer, in the form of a framed print and some fresh French cotton fabric.

Antique bottles and a leather worked Barbola topped tin.

A selection of lovely ladies and three c1930/40's hand made felt brooches.
I invested in a large collection of postcards this time too, some for crafting with and some to sell.
*

And finally some 'projects' - Why do I do this to myself?! ;-))

Lots of wooden bobbins that I have plans for, shoe stretches to be given the vintage fabric treatment, and a candlestick which will become a hat stand...all hopefully will be transformed in time for the next fair.

There we go, some lovely things, but it does take a lot of searching and I'm always surprised how small my haul seems when I get home, after a whole day spent rootling!

I have lots to do over the next few weeks now...
I am trying to get my on-line shop back on track too, and will add some new items as-and-when I can. In the meantime there is the physical shop to run and lots of products to make...
**
One last thing, I have more details to pass on to you about the other fair I shall be attending in November. It will be held at Compton House, Axbridge, on Saturday 6th from 10am til 6.30 pm, and on Sunday 7th from 10am til 4.30pm.
I have been given the Elizabethan Bedroom to display my wares in.
Details from Patricia the owner are as follows: Compton House, a listed Georgian House on the edge of Axbridge, opens its doors for the fifth year to local suppliers, craft makers and designers on Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th November from 10.00 am. Every room including bedrooms are filled with unique and affordable gifts to buy for yourself, your family and your friends. Rooms filled with vintage designs and accessories, silk clothing and accessories, Indian throws, scarves and wall hangings, leather and sheepskin bags, gloves, hats, belts, pottery for the garden and home, Somerset themed books, handmade baby clothes, beautifully crafted jewelry, iron ware, lavender products, lampshades, stained glass and much more... Admission free.
Photos courtesy of Compton House.
More details can be found on my website under 'fairs'. Hope you can make it. (My shop in Shepton Mallet will be closed on the Saturday whilst I attend this event.)
Have a great week,
Niki x

13 comments:

  1. oh my god! how many beautiful things
    Can you find them.
    I am a little jealous ........
    A hug Susy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most definitely treasure!
    You do find some lovely things and I'm sure they will be even more lovely when they've had the "Niki" treatment.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Niki, that is quite a haul ! Well done you :-)
    It was a great flea market wasn't it? So many stalls - I was so tired when we got back after all that intensive looking !!
    Have a super week,
    Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful finds Niki. Good to see you yesterday! What a coincidence, I did the Axbridge fair last year.. and in the very same bedroom! Have a good week, Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I told you it was all trash, would you send it all to me? LOL. Treasure my dear...all grand treasure. SEa Witch

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am appreciating my aunties things as we sort thfough and then my Mother-in-law died and more to sort and appreciate. Thanks for raisning my awareness. Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely, unequivocally, positively.....TREASURE!
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Niki- well you did well too- I wasn't sure that the flag would stand up to the rigours of listing on eBay, so I'm pleased that you've found a more "sedate" use for it as a dolls apron!
    I expect we criss-crossed eachother all day, as I don't know what you look like either.
    Thankyou in advance for displaying my Vintage at the Village Hall posters and flyers
    Enjoying sorting through your treasures
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great haul of goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Treasures Niki, definitely treasures! Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, envious of your great 'haul' - some gorgeous postcards and pictures! You have such a 'good eye' !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful finds Niki!! I love how you photograph them together. The Union Jack with that sort of reverse red toile is YUM!
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of lovely things. I also have that poppy print - it hangs in the kitchen and it's the only nice thing in there!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx