Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Good with Food!

Yesterday, whilst doing my supermarket shopping, I was able to pick up a copy of the latest Food magazine, which is offered free to its customers by the Co-Operative. (Click my link to view it on-line if you are unable to pick up your own copy.) Its a great little magazine full of recipes and invariably there is always at least one which I am inspired to try.
This time it was the simple recipe for Easy Cheesy Muffin Scones. The recipe mentioned that they were suitable for freezing, so I felt they would be ideal candidates for my daughter's upcoming wedding and the buffet spread! Trying to get ahead with the food has been the most difficult, as most will have to be made fresh the day before. I do wish more recipes would state if an item was suitable for freezing - I know some would argue that freezing can impair flavour, but in some cases I'm sure its difficult to taste any difference between previously frozen or fresh. 
Anyway, as these should be OK taken out of the freezer on the morning of the wedding, I gathered enough ingredients together to make two batches. The list of ingredients included a handful of fresh chopped herbs...
I used sage and thyme, as that is what I happened to have growing in my garden, but I'm sure basil would be a wonderful addition to the recipe, as it always teams so well with cheese and tomatoes. 
The smell wafting through my kitchen this morning whilst they baked was wonderful, even if I do say so myself! And the taste? - Well I did have to check they were 'wedding-buffet-worthy' didn't I?...Definitely delish! was the verdict :)
I promise the rest of them made it into my (now rapidly filling up) freezer! 
Whilst in my kitchen with my camera, I thought I'd snap a few quick shots of a bit more faffing that has taken place in there! 
This is a new addition...an antique jug (which I picked up for just £1.50) which is very crazed inside, but will be perfect for flowers. I really love it.
This little blue painted cupboard had been taking up quite a bit of space in one of our bedrooms...I decided to move it and place it on top of the china cupboard in the kitchen...
I think it will make a great little preserves storage cupboard. I've been making lots of pickles and chutneys for the wedding...probably far too many really, so some will probably be left afterwards and now I'll have somewhere to keep them!


Another small change was to bring this old French mirror into the kitchen too. It was on our landing wall, but after the redecorating I did recently, I've had a bit of a change around up there and a thinning-out, so it needed a new spot for a while.
Hope you've had the lovely sunshine today,
Niki x

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip Niki.They look delicious.I picked upo the same leaflet from the coop just today.I love your little crazed jug and all your blue lovliness.I really don't think you can beat a palette of blue, white and red and various permutations of....I was just looking at my Caroline Zoob book Childhood treasures and never tire of that palette.Your wedding preparations sound just the ticket.
    Keep up the good work.Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Nikki! I LOVE that blue and white pitcher! *sigh* :) Those scones look delish! I may have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for the wedding foto's, hope you'll invite us us all (!?!)... via your blog of course Niki.

    Always gobsmacked at the glorious of all you do; trouble is it undermines my pathetic efforts more than a tad!

    Love it!

    LLX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh Niki they look gorgeous and really tasty! i know it will be tiring but you must be having so much fun getting everything together for the wedding.
    I am in love with your blue rose jug and its ruffled edge it's wonderful.
    You have such great taste and such a beautiful home x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx