Thursday, November 27, 2014

Bookworms!

I've been wanting to get a bit more experimental with my fairy dolls and have finally found the time to make a start! 
Here is my first small collection of bookworm fairies. 
(Is two a collection? - Well, I've made two, to see how they go... :) 
This is Paige, dressed in antique beaded crepe from the waist down. Her bodice is fashioned from the spine of a book, her wings from the cover and she wears a tiny paper hat made from a page, decorated with a Victorian rose scrap.

I think she'd look adorable sat amongst the antique books in a library...
But if you are yet to acquire some lovely old volumes, Paige comes complete with the four old hardbacks tied with jute string shown below.  
It goes without saying that she's a one-of-a-kind...
But she does have a friend...
***
This is Deckle...a framed fairy bookworm artwork...
An antique cover of Pickwick Papers fits snugly inside an elaborate gold frame. 
Deckle is dressed in some beautiful vintage velvets with a wonderful piece of antique bead-work around her hips. 
She has paper wings, handmade crown and a length of paper bunting strung between her hands.  
The perfect gift for a book lover! 
* Please note: I only re-purpose old damage books in my artwork.
***
Paige will be coming to Devises on the 29th and I'll take Deckle with me to Chipping Sodbury.
To continue the theme, I've made some secret boxes using the pretty covers of some antique books. 

They took a lot of work, but I'm pleased with the finished results. 

They'd be lovely as jewellery boxes, or to hide secrets in amongst other books on a shelf. 
This one had a lovely old Sunday School label stuck inside the front cover, dating it to 1903, so I carefully cut around the lining paper to preserve it forever. 

***
Making use of the bound pages from inside the above covers, I created this decorative piece, which would look pretty displayed on an old desk. 


Niki x

6 comments:

  1. Love the book worms, and those secret boxes are just wonderful
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the bookworm fairies. I would definitely be interested in one like these. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bookworm fairies are whimsical and beautiful Niki and i LOVE the secret boxes,loving your new path in creating xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to receive some feedback - Thanks SO much ladies!
    I loved making these, Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these are all wonderful Niki - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful! I have never seen anything like them before. Regarding The Pickwick Papers one: are you a fan of Pickwick, or was that just a book that you had lying around and decided to turn into a bookworm? If you are indeed a Pickwick fan, you might be interested in taking a look at my forthcoming novel Death and Mr Pickwick, which tells the story of the origins and history of The Pickwick Papers. You can find out more at: www.deathandmrpickwick.com I have also set up a facebook page for the novel, which I would like to become a repository and archive for all sorts of Pickwickiana, and I would be delighted and honoured if you were to post a picture of your Pickwick Papers bookworm there. The page is: www.facebook.com/deathandmrpickwick (By all means use the post to promote your website too.)

    Best wishes

    Stephen Jarvis

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx